- Tribal Government
- Kenai, AK, USA
- On Call
KENAITZE INDIAN TRIBE JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant I
TYPE OF POSITION: On-call, Non-exempt
POSITION HOURS: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
REPORTS TO: Director of Tribal Government Affairs
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Native preference under P.L. 93-638
KENAITZE INDIAN TRIBE'S PURPOSE, VALUES & VISION
To assure Kahtnuht'ana Dena'ina thrive forever.
Kahtnuht'ana Dena'ina Values
These are the beliefs and principles that define our people and will assure our future as tribe:
• Family: honoring and sustaining health and happiness of family as a first responsibility
• Stewardship: respectful use of land, resources and all creations
• Spiritual Beliefs: acknowledging the existence of a higher power and respecting spiritual beliefs
• Education: passing down cultural knowledge and traditions and supporting formal education
By 2025, the Kahtnuht'ana Dena'ina have enhanced & strengthened the prosperity, health, and culture of their people & Tribe by:
• Working towards united effort with Native organizations & other governments that impact our people
• Developing & implementing a Tribal education system
• Living our traditional values & practices
• Empower our sovereignty
• Continuing to demonstrate resiliency
• Striving for excellence in all of our programs
• Elevating the wellness of our people
• Using our talents & resources to ensure we are able to take care of ourselves & share with others
The Administrative Assistant I is responsible for greeting visitors to Kenaitze Indian Tribe in a friendly, professional, and helpful way. The Assistant is responsible for answering and routing calls, coordinating incoming and outgoing mail, handling inquiries from the public, and monitoring access to the building by visitors.
(Consideration may be given for equivalent knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience)
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• One year of clerical experience.
• Ability to type 40 wpm.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Good oral and written communication.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to handle customer complaints in a professional manner.
• Ability to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines.
• Availability to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Requires Alaska driver's license and must pass required criminal background check
• Willingness to learn the language, culture and history of the Dena'ina people.
• Ability to lift program materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Knowledge and experience working with Alaska Native/American Indian people preferred.
• Greet customers to KIT and notify applicable staff member of their arrival. Direct customers as appropriate.
• Responsible for inventory and ordering of all office supplies.
• Responsible for unlocking and locking the KIT administration offices at the start and close of the business day.
• Answer main phone line, direct calls to appropriate staff.
• Maintain coffee pots for employees and customers.
• Schedule appointments for programs as requested.
• Responsible for maintaining the mailing list for the KIT newsletter, copying and mailing.
• Maintain the KIT employee phone list, update as needed.
• Provide KIT employment and Tribal program applications to the public as requested; when applications are received date stamp them and submit to appropriate staff.
• KIT mail responsibilities include: mail pick-up at KIT locations and post office and deliver to administration.
• Maintain two office copy machines, supplies and coordinating service calls for repair.
• Maintain office stamp machine, ordering supplies, adding postage and seeing that all outgoing mail is stamped and if needed certified, return receipt.
• Coordinate courier pick-up when requested by administration (Fed Ex, UPS, and Gold Streak, etc.).
• Attend training and staff meetings as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
This Job Description reflects Kenaitze Indian Tribe's best effort to describe the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be a contract.